Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thesis Troubles

I've never been really good at coming up with a thesis. Honestly, I've never been taught how to write one or choose one. I used to be told that it was pretty much just your topic sentence, but I'm beginning to realize that a lot more thought has to be put into a thesis than that. Therefore, I am panicking about the thesis deadline, which is quickly approaching. I thought I was going to be writing about how my mother is one of my role models, so would I start my paper out with simply stating that my mother is my most influential role model? It seems that for a thesis there has to be much more than that so I don't know what I am supposed to do. For the paper, my plan was to have an introduction that stated that my mother was my role model, and briefly almost list the reasons why. I was then going to continue on with the paper with a few paragraphs dedicated to each of the reasons I find my mom to be a role model, and explain the qualities that I see in her that I wish to model myself after. Of course my research would be incorporated into those paragraphs. So that was all I really thought we had to do, so can anyone help me with a potential thesis?

1 comment:

  1. Star with "My mother is my role model because..." and see where that takes you. Simple phrasing and straightforward ideas can be a very useful way to start.

    ReplyDelete